Places to hire freelance web developers
Some of the best freelance software developer sites are not necessarily the ones you heard of. Upwork, Toptal, Freelancer – there are dozens of services to hire software developers that have already become an eyesore in Google search results.
But are they that good? What is the best site to hire developers?
Let’s take a closer look at the most promising ones, and figure out.
The out of the box solution to hire developers. Lemon.io is so good right from the start that you might even forget to check out other platforms on this list.
- You’re on fire when you do something you love. Lemon.io seems to love
scrutinizingassessing freelancers so much that they have to survive one hell of a vetting procedure to get hired. Survival of the fittest at its best.
- 98% of Lemon.io clients hire the first candidate the service suggests them.
- Super-precise matching is also super-quick: try to find another platform that can match you with a competent developer within just 24 hours.
- Lemon.io offers you a better price-quality balance than Toptal: you hire dedicated developers, but don’t have to spend a fortune. Juicy!
- Once you hire your software developers from Lemon.io, you sign an NDA with them. Project info and data you exchange with your devs are protected.
- If you are looking for something else than web and software development, Lemon.io will be unable to help you.
What users say
Lemon.io is a recent rebranding of Coding Ninjas: a freelance platform for vetted developers which has quickly gained the trust of numerous clients. Here is what Coding Ninjas customers say about it
- Excellent service, fast and efficient. After many successful projects, I can say that the staff is very competent. Also, the same developers are usually available after the gig is completed and they can work on improvements as needed. – Alexandre
- These ninjas here rly know their skill! As the designer of sites, even if they dont understand exactly what I want the first time, they are always very patient and willing to work to make sure I’m happy and I get what I want. – Yocheved
How good is Toptal for business hire? A great option if you can afford it, Toptal is actually one of the best freelance websites. It relies on meticulous pre-screening procedures when recruiting contractors to its talent pool.
- You can safely hire a software developer on Toptal: its multistage vetting procedures filter out incompetent contractors
- You don’t necessarily have to hire a developer Toptal provides you with. You can deposit $500 and try out a freelancer Toptal assigned to your project. If you are unsatisfied, you get your money back
- When you hire a software or a web developer on Toptal, you know their skills will precisely match your project needs.
- You can occasionally experience difficulties with receiving help for Toptal’s support team – it is known to work slow
- It can cost you quite a lot to hire freelance developers on Toptal. Hourly rates to hire a web developer start at $65-$90.
- Some users have reported poor code quality when working with Toptal devs, and the platform’s reluctance to solve the issue.
What users say
- “First time working with them was easy and efficient. They sourced a great developer for us and all went extremely well.” – Marcelo Vergara.
- We used Toptal for half of the year and the only thing that they provided exceptionally good is invoices. – Lukas Kr.
A decent platform to quickly find an assistant for routine tasks. And remember that most likely, freelancers hired for $5 won’t be able (or willing) to satisfy your every need.
- As the website’s name suggests, it is really inexpensive to hire on Fiverr. You will have to pay a fee of $3 for a fixed-price project (or a 3% fee, whichever is greater), or just 3% of the payment for hourly projects.
- If you look up a list of the top people to hire on Fiverr, you have high chances to get the job done quickly and efficiently. In combination with low prices, it makes Fiverr a potentially great platform to hire freelance developers.
- Judging from user reviews, Fiverr tends to take on the clients’ side in disputes. In other words – your side.
- You can end up being overcharged for services or be charged multiple times. Once again, judging from the reviews this happened not just once.
- You can’t really expect high quality with the prices as low as on Fiverr. More often than not, you will have to try out several contractors before you find the one whose quality of work satisfies you.
- It can take a long time before someone applies to your order.
- Financial transactions on Fiverr are not protected by escrow services.
What users say
- Fiverr is like an online mall. You have to do some window shopping before you find the right service. The few orders I’ve placed have been great and some even above my expectations. – Donshura
- The absolute worst. Horrible customer service, often extremely poor quality orders avoid at all costs. Use any other service. – Thomas W
One of the most popular websites to hire freelance developers, Upwork is a nice option at the beginning. If you are short on time, better use a service with fast matching such as Lemon.io. But eventually, all clients who use Upwork find freelancers who match their requirements.
- If you don’t know how to hire a freelancer on Upwork (say, it’s your first time outsourcing), you need not worry. All you need to do is to provide a job description, specify a budget, and place a bid. Contractors will apply on their own.
- There are thousands of qualified pros to hire on Upwork, with various skillsets to choose from
- People who use Upwork hire freelancers for reasonable hourly rates and fixed prices, although you generally want to hire for at least $50 per hour. Otherwise, you might be disappointed with the professionalism of a person you hired.
- Upwork uses escrow services to ensure the security of financial transactions.
- Despite ID verification procedures, there is a probability you’ll run into scammers or just unprofessional freelancers who apply to orders in the same amounts as decent contractors.
- The customer service is poor. Support team often ignores assistance requests or fails to be useful in terms of troubleshooting.
- The bidding process makes it difficult to find a qualified pro fast.
What users say
- Wow, I have gotten some AMAZING people on Upwork! I now have basically a full-time virtual admin who I LOVE and who has become the most valuable member of my business- thank you Upwork!!! – Jeanne Goldberg
- They have the worst support ever. It seems like they never really read support requests as the answers never fit and sound like they come from bad algorithms. – Jens
This is going to be the first search result if you type “hire freelancer” on Google. A worldwide outsourcing marketplace to hire developers online (and not just them), Freelancer.com is a platform where you can hire a freelancer of any skill, regardless of the budget at your disposal.
- Competing with Upwork for leadership on the market of bidding freelance platforms, Freelancer.com has accumulated a large pool of talents specializing in a wide range of areas.
- This diversity also comes at all possible prices. Sometimes you will be able to hire a freelancer of unparalleled skill with ridiculously low rates (although, the opposite is also possible).
- Freelancer.com has a convenient time tracking application. Demand a freelancer to use it, and you will always pay only for the actual working hours.
- Live chat!
- Freelancer.com suffers from the same problem as other bidding platforms: each gig can potentially attract hundreds of contractors. You might think it’s an advantage, but in practice, you will spend unreasonable amounts of time wading through their profiles, portfolios, and testimonials, hoping to figure out whether they are worth your time and money, or not. And still, there is room for mistakes.
- Clients often complain about the platform’s customer service and support. You will too.
- Scammers love Freelancer.com.
What users say
- Freelancer is the best platform that serves as a perfect mediator between developers and the employees. – Jetha G
- I had a bad experience with Freelancer. A project was canceled (not by me) and I thought I would get a full refund but apparently I have to pay fees even though no-one has done any work on the project. – Billyh
Gun.io is an elite platform to hire freelance developers. If you are looking to hire developers online, or generally are in need of skilled software developers for hire, Gun.io is a viable option. If you can afford it.
- Even among other platforms that vet freelancers before hiring, Gun.io is known for its meticulous screening procedures. For you, it means reliable and competent contractors working on your projects.
- Among the platform’s clients are companies such as Tesla and Cisco, which makes Gun.io look incredibly credible (sic!)
- You won’t have to worry about the security of your payments, as there is no mediator between you and your contractor. In other words, the money you pay the contractor goes directly to their bank account with the help of Stripe Connect API.
- You own the code. As stated in the company’s FAQ, Gun.io freelancers sign a special Consultant Agreement, according to which it is you who holds the intellectual property rights for the code freelance developers write.
- Everything comes at a price, and in the case of the Gun.io services, the prices are high. Hourly rates to hire freelance developer fluctuate within the range of $75-$150.
What users say
- With zero effort on our part, Gun.io took our requirements and created a pipeline of freelancers, interviewed them and sent us the top candidate. After a 30-minute tech screen, we were off and running – and we’ve learned a lot from the contractor. There’s absolutely no way we would have found a contractor at the skill level we were looking for without spending many days of work. – Austin C.
- No negative reviews
Specializing in thoroughly selecting WordPress experts, Codeable is a good choice when you need to hire freelance web developer. However, if you want to hire developers of wider profiles, you might need to look elsewhere.
- After Codeable screening experts hire web developers, there is still a 45-day trial period that a contractor must successfully pass. This additional QA touch is the 5th step in Codeable’s vetting process and makes a nice difference from giants such as Toptal – who, once they hire freelance developers, seem to stop monitoring their performance.
- Your payments are protected by the escrow policies and processed through PayPal and SafeCharge.
- High prices and fees can scare off smaller companies willing to hire freelance web developer from Codeable. Get ready to hire at the hourly rates starting at $60, and to pay the additional 17,5% commission on top of the project estimate provided by the contractor you hire.
- This is not necessarily a disadvantage, but if you are looking for a one-stop-shop, Codeable might not be the option you want since it is limited to WordPress.
What users say
- Super easy interface. I quickly established an excellent relationship with a developer and rescued a project of mine that had been languishing. – Mike Heffner
- We used a Codeable developer a little over a year ago to redesign our website, and it was the worst decision I’ve ever made in my professional career. Our site is riddled with constant issues, which has cost us thousands in additional consulting fees. – Gina
What is the best website to hire freelance developers?
This rating of bidding and non-bidding freelance platforms for hiring developers is not based on precise assessment in multiple categories.
Instead, we’ve browsed multiple user reviews and recalled our experience with each of the platforms on the list. Of course, we’ve also used our research for the said article.
As a result, we came up with this quick rating of freelance platforms:
|Lemon.io||The king of the hill in this chart. Lemon.io lets you hire freelance developers for reasonable prices, within just 24 hours after you place an order.|
|Gun.io||Looks like .io domain name somehow means quality. A great (although pricey) freelance platform to hire developers online.|
|Toptal||Who hasn’t heard of Toptal? Known for its meticulous screening of applying freelancers, Toptal is on the 3rd position mainly because it became too large to quickly react to its users’ needs.|
|Codeable||A good choice when you need to hire a web developer. Codeable specializes in WordPress, and its devs are really good at it. Just a tad expensive.|
|Upwork||A popular bidding marketplace to search for all kinds of independent contractors – software developers for hire included.|
|Freelancer||Upwork’s eternal competitor. Bidding, thousands of freelancers, mediocre customer support.|
|Fiverr||Mostly good to quickly hire freelance developer for small and routine tasks.|
So, what is the best site to hire developers?
Gun.io and Toptal look pretty good. Established but somewhat expensive, they are good to outsource at, if you have enough time and money to afford them.
But, to tell you the truth, we love Lemon.io more. Simple as that.
Squeeze to hire fresh devs now!